- "The tales of Greek mythology were part of an oral tradition. Many were never transcribed and through the ages, some were lost. This is one of those tales..."
- ―Opening introduction to A Call to Arms.
Blood of Zeus, formerly known as Gods & Heroes, is an original anime-style television series created by Charley and Vlas Parlapanides for Netflix.
The series is set in the world of Greek mythology. When giants and monsters begin to appear to terrorize Greece, Heron, a demigod son of Zeus, embarks on a quest to discover what's happening. On his quest, he meets other heroes and the Gods themselves and discovers an conspiracy to destroy Olympus.
Produced by Powerhouse Animation Studios, the series was released on October 27, 2020 on Netflix. In early December 2020, a second season was greenlit by Netflix. According to the creators, they have five seasons outlined.
Main Cast and Characters
- Derek Phillips as Heron
- Jason O'Mara as Zeus
- Claudia Christian as Hera
- Elias Toufexis as Seraphim
- Mamie Gummer as Electra
- Chris Diamantopoulos as Evios
- Jessica Henwick as Alexia
- Melina Kanakaredes as Ariana
- Matthew Mercer as Hermes
- Adetokumboh M'Cormack as Kofi
- Adam Croasdell as Apollo
|01||A Call to Arms||October 27, 2020|
|02||Past is Prologue||October 27, 2020|
|03||The Raid||October 27, 2020|
|04||A Monster is Born||October 27, 2020|
|05||Escape or Die||October 27, 2020|
|06||Back to Olympus||October 27, 2020|
|07||The Fields of the Dead||October 27, 2020|
|08||War for Olympus||October 27, 2020|
For the series, review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes reported an approval rating of 100% based on 13 reviews, with an average rating of 8.56/10. The website's critics consensus reads, "Reforging Greek mythology as an epic battle royal with slick imagery and sterling voice acting, Blood of Zeus earns a spot on the Mount Olympus of action animation."
Notes and Trivia
- Initially the series was announced in 2019 as Gods & Heroes, but was later renamed to Blood of Zeus.
- While the series' used Periander, an actual historical figure in the 6th century BC, the story actual isn't set in a specific period. Instead, the creators said that the story happens "post mythology" meaning after everything that's happened in the known canon.
- From January 21 to January 28, 2021, the video game Immortals Fenyx Rising had a limited-time quest based on the Netflix show, Blood of Zeus. On top of that, players can also purchase a new Blood of Zeus-themed character pack in addition to a weapons packs.
- screenshot) (
- 'Blood of Zeus’ Creators Aim for 5 Seasons, But That’s Not Netflix’s Style Retrieved December 26, 2020.
- Blood of Zeus: Season 1 (2020)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved October 31, 2020.
- screenshot) (